Thursday, September 4, 2008

Bambino Update!

*Warning: Long Post, proceed with caution*

I've decided I haven't been all that great at documenting this blessed event of pregnancy. So for the last three weeks I vow to do better. I read blogs of people and their week to week updates and baby chatter and I think it's a really neat thing that they've been able to note down every detail of their pregnancy. As I look back over the last 8 months things have been very exciting in that we will be parents and my 5 year wait for a baby will soon be over and we will soon be enjoying a little one in our home. Excitement over our new baby aside (not that that isn't HUGE, because it definitely is. I couldn't be happier about having this little one squirming around inside of me day after day, it really is wonderful and a complete miracle to me) but I've been reading other blogs and hear these crazy stories of things happening, and all the drama and scary things that could happen, and my pregnancy has been basically normal, if not mundane. He has basically been a perfect little angel. (Notice I said basically) Nothing too crazy to report. Everything has been going along how it's supposed to, no falls, no breach baby, no super bad or bizarre cravings, basically just your average run of the mill pregnancy. I've been feeling like a bad mother in not documenting every little event, but there really hasn't been too much to write about as far as pregnancy goes. So I guess I haven't been to big of a slacker in not telling you that on week 27, things were pretty much the same as they were at week 26. I do however remember some exciting things that have taken place over the last couple of weeks and months that I would like to share.

We found out we were having a boy on April 15, 2008 at our 17 week appointment.
The first time I felt him move for sure was at week 20, on May 5, 2008. Cinco de Mayo. That was exciting. Now after knowing what it feels like to have a baby inside me I’m pretty sure I felt him a lot sooner, but I knew for sure on this date.

We had our big check up with the x-ray tech on May 13, 2008 at our 21 week appointment. The tech confirmed that we were definitely having a boy. We also got his 3D photos done that day. They are kind of freaky looking. I hope he fattens up soon, but he is still a little cutie. A face only a mother could love, kidding, the pictures are just weird. We’ll see how accurate they are soon enough.

I had my first shower given by my cute sister-in-law Chelsea on July 22. This shower was for Darrik’s side of the family. She did such a great job. Thanks Chels! I got a bunch of cute things. Mostly clothes. My little guy will be well dressed for a long time. Thanks to everyone who came.


My roommates from college also threw me a shower on August 14. They are so sweet and I am so lucky to have them. We went to Macaroni Grill and had dinner. It was a really fun night reminiscing and catching up. I love you girls! Thanks again.

Laura, Whitney, Darbee, Me (Darbee had her baby a couple of weeks ago. Congrats Darb!)

I have three more showers planned. Two this Saturday, September 6. The first one at 10 my high school friends Natalie and Stefani are throwing for me. The next one at 2:00 my cute mom and sister Paige are doing for me for our side of the family. I also have a ward shower on September 13. I am so blessed to have such wonderful friends and family. Thanks guys!

Those of you who have kept up with my never updated blog, know that I have been struggling making decisions. I picked out the crib and changing table a long time ago and I love how it turned out.

The changing table is currently the diaper cake holder. I still have to get a changing pad and cover.

It also took me several weeks to decide on which glider I wanted. My mother in law bought our glider for us, thanks mom.

But, I’m happy to report that I’ve purchased a car seat and stroller. I’ve taken all of your advice and went with a better quality, 5-point harness (whatever that means), the color most seemed to approve of (I actually found a newer version of the one I wanted on the Chicco website, same basic colors), and went with the jogging stroller option. I am very excited with my decision.




Also the source of many ulcers, the decision of bedding. Also happy to report that I’ve made a decision there as well. I’ve always liked blues, greens, brown and tan and I’ve found bedding that has all of those colors in it. I’ve gone back and forth through all of the colors of the rainbow, having loved orange for quite sometime, and then going through a red phase, but finally landing on this option and we both love it. It looks really good with our crib. More nursery photos will be added when we get the entire room done.


One thing that I should mention for the record. I have had terribly bad swollen feet. That started at week 35. It mostly gets bad when I’m on them for long periods of time. I can get them to look almost normal if I soak them in cool water and elevate. But I’ve had to purchase new comfortable shoes to make walking easier. I didn't really have to, but it seemed like the best thing to do. Besides, who doesn't love a new pair of shoes.


Look at those! Can you say CANKLES??

Another thing I need to remember for today’s update is our last appointment. I was 36 weeks and 3 days when I went in. They tested me for strep and also for dilation and thinning. Sad to say I am dilated to a 0. My doctor told me he could be generous and say .5, but basically I’m not dilated at all. However, I’m 50% effaced, or thinned for those who don’t know what effaced means, I didn’t. So that is good there. Darrik wants him to come next week on the 10th. I’ve been in some pain lately. Some contractions and nerve pain have been bothering me the last 2 weeks, but nothing major. I would like him to wait until his due date so I can finish getting things put together, but if he came early I would be thrilled. I’ve mentioned before, my mom will be out of town the 15-20 of this month, so hopefully he graces us with his presence when she is home, but if not I’m sure everything will be just fine.

All in all, we are very excited for our new little guy to be here. We are truly blessed.

16 comments:

The Taylors said...

The picture of your swollen ankles looks all too familiar! I had the same problem the last 3 months of my pregnancy...none of my shoes fit! Good news though, it goes away fast after the baby is born!

Michelle said...

What a cute post! You are so silly, I love your warning at the beginning. Just to let you know, I read it all and enjoyed every bit of it :)... Sounds like you've had some fun baby showers, I can't wait till the ward one, it will be fun!... I absolutely love your crib, dresser (changing table), and bedding! The bedding you picked out is adorable, I love those colors! I'm glad you finally decided on something you both love... That glider will come in very handy, it's a lot like mine, and I love mine! You're stroller and carseat look like they will be really nice too... Sorry about your poor swollen ankles :(. Little Brock will be here soon and they will go away! Can't wait till he comes! It will be fun to have a little tiny baby around again! Good luck with the last couple weeks of your pregnancy. Let me know if you need anything! :)

Dan and Tara said...

Kami, I love the crib and changing table! Aren't those diaper cakes cute? I have seen them with dishcloths for wedding showers too. They're so fun! Please let us know when he pops out!

Keri said...

Ok Kami, I absolutely LOVE The bedding. And I LOVE LOVE the crib and changing table! Awesome stuff!!!! Hopefully I'll see you Saturday the 13th at your shower. But good choice on everything you got!

Val and Shauna Steed said...

Loved this post. You've done an excellent job preparing. I love the crib, changing table, and bedding. What a lucky baby. Those ankles are nasty! I think it is a common first-baby problem. Put your feet up, girl! See you on Saturday!

Rich Family said...

Your bedding is so cute! You are so cute! Let me know when to come and help you get your nursery ready if you want. Monday and Tuesdays work for me. Were your ankles/feet terrible after swiss days. You were amazing. It was tons of fun.

Marky said...

Kami..
Hey it's Marky Powell.. I found your blog through Michelle's. Your nursery looks so cute! I love the crib and changing table.. And you will love those car seats, I have a Chicco to and there great!! Hope everything is going well with that baby boy!!

Travis,Liz& Baylee Steed said...

Kami brock's room looks nice!i like the colors you choce for him.The ankles not so cute but dont worrie his coming soon and it will be over.lol

Romney said...

Kami! You're getting way close! I can totally relate with you and the swollen feet. I can't wait to get rid of my cankles too! The things we do for these babies huh? Good luck with everything!

J.Frey said...

OH! Your poor feet!!! I am so sorry! And I love, love, LOVE your stroller! Seriously, I am so jealous! You will love the jogger. We have a jogger and a regular stroller and we use the jogger way more. Do you have a name yet? or Did you already announce it, but I just missed it? Good Luck with everything! I can't wait to see some pictures of the little guy!

Zack and Julie Martin said...

Kami I am glad you found me. Congrats on the baby to come. You look really cute pregnant!! I love your crib that you picked out.

Alisha said...

Hey cute pregnant lady! Congrats on your long awaited baby! Looks like you got everything all ready! It's been so fun to look at everyone's blogs & catch up on their lives. I just had twins last month & waited a long time for them as well. Oh, & my feet didn't really swell at the end (I was on bedrest- that probably helped) but after my C-Section- OH MY GOSH. You're less vain that me because I would NOT allow a picture. My feet looked like they belonged to a 500 lb woman. Seriously... not fun. But it does go away, thank goodness! I wore my first pair of post-pregnancy high heals yesterday! Anyway, you look fantastic. Good luck with the birth! You'll do great!

--Alisha (Partridge) Oldroyd

Steph said...

I love this post!!! I can't wait to see the little one. Hang in there girl...the last few weeks will *hopefully* fly by...!!! LOVES

Keri said...

So I've misplaced the shower invite. Is it this Saturday? what time and where at????

Stefani said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the crib and stroller!! so cute. this is the funnest time, looks like all you're missing is the baby. can't wait! xo

Anonymous said...

hey cuzz! i was going from blog to blog to blog (yes, some people call it blog stocking...) and i can across yours!! cute blog! i am so excited for you to have your baby-sorry i couldn't make it to your shower on saturday :(