Thursday, October 9, 2008

Brock's Story

These are the notes that Darrik took during the whole process:

Wednesday October 1, 2008
5:45 PM Darrik gave Kami a blessing
6:00 PM Loaded up and headed out
6:15 PM Wendy’s for mandarin chicken salad for dinner
6:30 PM Admitted into hospital through Emergency Room 6:35 PM Wheel chaired up to labor and delivery room 6 (Kami’s favorite number)
7:00 PM Got all hooked up 7:15 PM Nurse Cami puts in the cervidil (a drug to help her dilate over night) then we wait (started at a 1 maybe 1.5 40% effaced, according to nurse)
8:30 PM An IV was put in for easy access. It was put in the weirdest place, her wrist. Ouch!
9:30 PM Lime sublime Jamba Juice for last snack before ice chip diet
11:00 PM take Ambien to fall asleep
1:30 PM went to bed
Thursday October 2, 2008

4:30 AM received nubain for contraction pains and went back to sleep (happy drugs, seriously the best ever, within 15 seconds they were working)
8:45 AM received another dose of nubain for the pain
8:50 Brock’s heart rate had no dips or peaks, doctor thinks he is too tired or depressed to go through labor, but maybe just the pain meds wearing off
9:00 AM Epidural, catheter, water broke (meconium was found in the water)
9:30 AM Flushed the placenta of the meconium with a tube 10:05 AM started platocin on lowest possible setting 2.0
10:15 AM Brock started to come out of the nubain and heart started to react better
10:40 AM Darrik gave Kami a blessing of comfort
11:10 AM Doctor announced that we should do a c-section. Due to heart rate and meconium 11:20 AM Darrik gave Kami a priesthood blessing
11:45 AM Entered the O.R.
12:18 PM Brock born 8lbs 2oz 21 inches long
12:18-12:45 PM Brock immediately taken to get cleaned up and get his lungs sucked out, footprints done, measured, shots, blood tested and all that jazz (the nursed called out, look over your left shoulder to see him as I walk out of the room. Kami looked over to see him above her head as she rushed out of the O.R.)
Battle wound. {I know you didn't want to see that, but staples, Ouch!}
12:45 PM Kami came back to room from O.R.
12:50 PM Brock and Darrik entered into room to meet Kami
1:00 PM Kami held Brock for the first time
1:30 PM Brock was breast fed for the first time, did very well
2:00 Brock returned to nursery for a bath and to get his temp up. Kami moved to post partum room 205.
Apparently when I was on the table I was so drugged that I started saying the most bizarre things. I told everyone in the room that it was okay that I was having a c-section because 'chicks dig scars'. I also looked Darrik (my husband) right in the eye and said, 'are you dr. Healy?' I touched my head after surgery and felt my cap, and freaked out, 'am I wearing hat, who put a hat on me?' I also said, 'is the tv on, is that the news, turn it off, I hate the news.' Just random things. I also looked at my baby and said, 'he has 8 eyes'. I seriously couldn't focus. I was also really emotional. I kept trying to say, 'I'm your mom' I it came out, 'I'm your, I'm your, your, your, m, m, m, m, ahhhhhhh...' I just kept bawling. I was apparently so happy, but but so out of it. Drugs do crazy things to me.

It's kind of crazy the whole turn of events. We were very blessed to have everything happen the way it did. I have always been so scared of having a C-section, and I still was scared that day, but it's crazy how you will do anything for the safety of your child. I would have done anything. to get him here safe. I could have waited to do the cervidil until later, I was only 5 days over, and I was feeling a little impatient, but I knew that he needed to be here as soon as possible. I prayed about my decision and felt very confident in going ahead with the induction. I'm super glad that I listened to the spirit. When they pulled little Brock out the cord was also wrapped around his neck. This was possibly the cause for lower or the steady heart rate. So it was such a huge blessing that we went C-section. I am so grateful for Darrik, and his worthiness to hold the priesthood. He gave me three blessings and all of them completely different, but they were all so beautiful and I know they are the reason Brock is here safe and sound. I'm so thankful for our new little family. I know that Brock will grow into a great young man, and do great things. We are very blessed.

This is Brock's hungry face.


We had our first appointment with the doctor, doctor Pruit, on Tuesday and Brock is 100% healthy. Despite the fact that the night before I swore his temperature was low. It turns out that 96 in the arm pit and 97 in the bum is completely normal. I thought everyone was 98.6? So the nursing bare belly to belly, and sleeping that way was completely un-necessary. But it made me feel better. I'm sure it won't be the last time I freak out about something. Brock also got circumcised at his appointmet. Darrik said he was very good. (There was no way mom was going in there to watch) He screamed when they gave him the shot to numb it, but didn't make a peep after that. He also didn't cry when he got his shots in the hospital. Brave little soldier.

We gave him his first bath the other night and he hated it. I think he'll like it better when we give him an actual bath, not a sponge bath. He got cold and freaked out. But he sure looked cute in his towel. He was wrapped up for about 20 seconds before we heard a loud farting sound, and sure enough, he had pooped in his towel, no diaper... oops and it went through the towel and made a huge mess. Lots of fun for new mom and dad. We love you little guy.


Brock has been a really good baby so far. He is a very good sleeper. Fed around 10 or 11 and he sleeps until about 4 or 5. Last night he slept until 6 this morning. Good little kid! Yesterday, however, he was not a happy camper for some reason. If he didn't have his binki he was a wreck. Here is a couple picture of his freak out session. Mean mom, taking pictures of the crying child... I guess that's what moms do. That's what my mom did.


I have taken pictures of him just about every day. So here are a few favorites.

Burrito baby {this is the only way he can sleep, wrapped up tight}

This is how Brock sleeps, like an eskimo.


Brock checking out his bouncer, not quite sure about it.

Brock with his bear.

My little boy is growing up. Doesn't he look so big here. Can you tell he has a mohawk?

He fell asleep on my shoulder, how cute!


I love being a mom!!

19 comments:

Brent and Ashley said...

I am SO glad everything worked out okay with the whole c-section thing. Isn't that the truth- we'll do ANYTHING for our little babies!! I love all his cute red hair. He is such a darling boy. He is so lucky to have a mom like you!! And all those aunts to spoil him! We can't wait to see him grow! Also, thanks for putting up my button! You're a sweetie.
Love ya! ...and I hope you heal quickly!

Anonymous said...

It's awesome being a mom huh! I love it too! I'm happy that everything worked out for you! Good job! He is such a cute baby and I love the hair color that's awesome. well keep getting lot's of rest K... I will see you tomorrow sat and finally meet your cute baby!

Stefani said...

HE IS SO PERFECT. i can't stop looking at his picts. what a cute baby. im scared of your scar and the staples, ouch! love you guys, he's a doll.

Ashley said...

Oh my.. I am so impressed with how you have everything documented to the T. It was so fun hearing how everything went. I am so glad he is hear healthy and beautiful! You look great and isn't it the best thing ever being a mom!!!?

Marky said...

Kami he is so darling!! How fun to have all those notes to remember the day.. He is such a little sweetie, and it sure looks like you guys are loving being parents, it is the greatest!!

Val and Shauna Steed said...

It looks like you guys are doing great. What a good boy to sleep so well. You are lucky - keep training him right. That was the most important thing for me at the beginning - to get them on a good sleep schedule. You are a great mom.

lizdye said...

OH its so wonderful. Your story sounds a lot like mine. Heart rate, petosin, late delivery, cord around neck, C Section...it is a scarry crazy time but so worth it. Im so happy you are loving life. I was super hormonal for about 3 months but still loved it and learned a lot. It only gets better. Hard to believe, right? Its true, you just love him more and more each dang day. ITS THE BEST!

Unknown said...

He is such a doll Kami! C-sections are no fun but totally worth it in the end with a happy and healthy baby. Don't worry, the healing is hard at first but you'll get back to normal quickly. And you really can't even see my scare anymore. (not that anyone would notice anyway) Enjoy every minute while he is this little. They really do grow so fast!

Tiffany said...

You are such a great mom!! Major ouch on the battle wound, but like you said you will do anythig for the safety of your child. He is really so dang cute!

Trav, Crystal, Carson, Cooper, and Chasely said...

What a gorgeous newborn! Gosh, he is so perfect! It's nice to have them c-section because then they have perfect little shaped heads, instead of cone heads. I've had 2 c-sections and I think they're great! The second was even easier than the first!

The Garlocks.... said...

I LOVE THE RED HAIR! My mom will be so jealous that your parents have a red headed grandbaby and she still doesn't have one! He is beautiful! You're so brave to have gone c-section! I agree with you knowing your body! That was why I was totally content going 21 days over! I knew my baby was just fine! Isn't it a great gift of mothers intitution! You're going to be such a great mom! OH, HOW I LOVE NEWBORNS. Hannah is almost 3 months and I want her to stay little forever!

Jenny said...

I love how NOT camera shy you are! During my labors I was like get that camera out of my face!!!!!!! LOL

sav said...

kami, that is so sweet. i am so glad that everything worked out well... and he is ok. congrats! he is precious!

J.Frey said...

Kami, You are so brave!!! I am glad he is here safe! He is adorable! I'm glad he is sleeping well for you so you can rest and recover! Congratulations!

Ambo said...

Oh I feel your pain, I had a C-section too. But's its totally worth it! Cute baby!!

Michelle said...

Soooo cute! I love the picture of Brock smiling while he's sleeping and wrapped up as a little burrito baby! I love this mohawk picture too. I can't believe how fast they grow. It's sad, but so fun at the same time!

whitney holland. said...

Kami he is PERFECT..I am serious what a doll baby! It was so fun to read his story and how blessed you guys are to have a perfect healthy baby! Oh this post made me sooooo baby hungry! Can I just come hold him for a minute! Love ya girl!

Unknown said...

he is so cute kami! HJey that same exact story is my story!! meconium, heart rate, c-section everything. (except mykelle was 3 hours old before i saw her.) he is adorable and I bet he is barely loved. hehe
megan

Missy said...

We love Dr. Pruitt how did you hook up with him. He is the best. Cade refers to "Dr. piutt" as his "best friend. Your little boys is so stinkin cute I can't wait to meet him. That's a nice battle wound.