Tuesday, January 25, 2011

New Years Resolutions

I look forward to the beginning of the year every year. January is usually drab, boring and cold and I always want it to go by quickly so I can celebrate my birthday in February. But I always get excited to think of ways of improving myself, or doing things I've never done, and getting back on track with things I should have been doing.

I realized when I pulled up my goals from last year that they were the same goals as 2009, just saved as 2010. It made me really sad when I realized that I didn't set ANY goals, and hence, didn't accomplish any of my goals either. I did a lot of fun things, changed some habits, learned new things, and went a few places of memorable note, but I had not written anything down, so I can't count that. We had a fun year, a decent year, but not very productive, or accomplished, according to my goals, or lack thereof. I can't even believe a whole year has gone by. It's been a very crazy 12 months indeed. 

So, having said all that, I vowed that I would set goals this year.  Specific goals with sub categories, and steps, and dates and put them on my calendar and track them with iphone app to follow my progress. I've already checked off some things on my list, and I've been doing pretty good.  It really does make me happy when I'm organized and doing the things that are not only beneficial and essential for my family, but also fun and fulfilling. We're only part of a month into the new year and I can already feel a difference in my life. 

One of the things that I've read about setting new years resolutions is to tell someone about your goals. Telling someone about what you are trying to accomplish helps them help you, and hold you accountable. So I've decided to publish it on my blog. My list looks similar to this one, only I have all the specifics, dates, and details on mine. I'll spare you all the nitty gritty.

I always break my goals up into categories. I bet you didn't know that I was a little bit on the OCD side did you? I like to try and accomplish at least one thing from all areas of my life because I feel that helps me be a better person all around.We can hope, right?

I have so many things that I want to do, habits I want to make, habits I want to break, some places I want to go, things I want to learn.  The goal I've been the most excited about, and I've noticed that some of you have also thought about it as well, is in my family category, Play More.  We've made special efforts to go to bed later so we can play, make forts, celebrate National Pop Corn, or National Peanut Butter Day, or paint another picture mommy pees, or tackle mommy, or snuggle on the couch to Toy Story 3 for the umpteenth time.  I've gotta say, it's been a lot of fun and I really feel like it's made a difference in mine and Brock's relationship. My relationship with my two-year-old, if that is even possible.  He is still two, and still very defiant and very loud and demanding at times. But he is also so cute and so much more calm when he needs to be if we make time each day for play.  I'm not perfect at this and I've been tired, and not fully committed at times, but I'm trying.  I would like to start my sentences with, "Brock let's build a spaceship and blast off to the moon...." and end them with "...and then we can get ready for bed. Sound fun?" Instead of, "Brock, time for bed."  I want a clean house, I want cooked meals, but at the end of the day, all that doesn't matter. I want my kids to remember me as a fun mom, a mom who knows them, a mom who plays with them.  I've had to be creative and do a lot of my planning, cleaning and preparation for the next day after I put my boys to bed. Yes, I said boys. Darrik goes to bed at the same time as Brock, around 8 or 9 each night. Anyway, you get the idea.  Here's the list. I know it seems like a lot, but I have a whole year to get things done.

Spiritual
- Read my scriptures every day
- Attend the temple once a month
- Say evening personal prayers
- Carry out family night
- Serve others
- Write in/or journal/blog twice a month
- 2010 update finished by Jan. 31, 2011
- Swear less (Brock says damn it now because of me. I'm really hoping that changes soon)

Family
   - Be a better wife
       - more quality time with Darrik
       - planned date nights
       - Cook dinner 3 times a week
       - more sex
  - Be a better Mom
       - Play more
       - Sing more
       - Read more
       - Take more pictures (if that is even possible)
       - Swimming lessons and tumbling
   - Keep a clean house
       - Create chore chart and stick to it

Physical
- Eat healthy, less sweets, track daily calorie intake
- Exercise more
- Train for and run races

Financial
- Save money (I have specifics of how much each month for different categories)
- Decrease debt
- Create a spending plan (aka budget) and stick to it
- Really do the coupon thing
- Create meal plans each week and follow through

Educational
- Read a book every two months
- Take a cake decorating class
- Take a photography class

Fun
- One craft day, all day, once a month (crafts planned out ahead of time)
- Family vacations, planned and on the calendar
- Family activities planned, scheduled, calendared, executed each month (example: first day of spring - Wheeler farm trip, National corn dog day, banana split day)

Personal
- Be happy, no matter what
- "I will speak ill of no man, and speak all the good I know of everybody." - Ben Franklin (no more gossip, or criticizing, or gossiping. I'm not the worst at this, but I know I need to better)
- Be a better friend
- Finish what I start
- Be a do-er. Don't think about what needs to be done, just do it.

2 comments:

Rich Family said...

Can I just copy your goals? I would love to join you on your craft day each month. But I don't know about the running even though it would be good. Is that Lazy to just copy yours.:) Your absolutely amazing!

The Johnson Family said...

I love that your broke down your goal list into sub-categories! What a great idea. You are awesome, and I'm sure you can accomplish these goals this year. You are inspirational to me!